Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Warning: This post contains warning labels

Warning this, Caution that, what the heck is up with all the warning labels these days?! I mean, I understand that there are plenty of insane people out there who try to sue anybody for anything, but c’mon, sometimes its just plain pathetic (and entirely hilarious) with what people try to get away with.

For example here’s one that I never understood, every time I have some cereal and milk (dinner,) aside for reading all that “important” educational info on the back of the box, there is one piece of information that always catches my eye, printed on the front of the box right over the picture of whatever cereal it may be, is this notice: “ENLARGED TO SHOW TEXTURE” !!! Now what can possibly be the reason for that notice? I can only imagine some idiot judge granting some shmuck a couple million dollars due to emotional distress and anxiety attacks ever since he opened his favorite box of cereal and realized that the cereal in the box wasn’t as large as it appeared on the cover of the box, what a letdown!


It seems almost impossible these days to go out and buy something that doesn’t have a warning/caution or a FYI sign on it! Just to prove my point here are some actual warning labels a friend emailed me. (Thanks Y.E.)

On packaging for a Rowenta iron:
Do not iron clothes on body.
(But wouldn't that save more time?) (Whose body?)

On Nytol sleep aid:
Warning: may cause drowsiness.
(One would hope!)

On a Korean kitchen knife:
Warning: keep out of children.
(Hmm... something must have gotten lost in the translation...)

On Sears hairdryer:
Do not use while sleeping.
(Gee, that's the only time I have to work on my hair!)

On Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding:
Product will be hot after heating.
(Are you sure? Let's experiment.)

On a Swedish chainsaw:
Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands.
(Raise your hand if you've tried this...)

On a child's Superman costume:
Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.
(Oh go ahead! That's right, destroy a universal childhood belief.)

On a bag of Fritos:
You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside.
(The shoplifter special!)

And I’m sure you have all heard this one before,

On Sainsbury's peanuts:
Warning: contains nuts.

Or,

On an American Airlines packet of nuts:
Instructions: open packet, eat nuts.
(Somebody got paid big bucks to write this one...)

Oy what a world we live in!



Truth be told however, there are some warnings that can come to your advantage at times, my favorite would be this one, (for any children out there, read this and you will be thanking me forever) Ever read the label on the back of any dishwashing, floor cleaning, or clothing detergent, read it and you will usually find this common notice “Keep out of reach of children” Now if only I had seen that one when I was a child! Imagine, no more washing dishes, no mopping the floor, o more cleaning the table or countertopand, and forget about doing laundry! Not like I always did those things anyhow, but hey, it always pays to have an excuse ;) Oh and I finally figured out why allot of people (children?) wont use Deodorant, after all it does have the same warning, keep out of reach of children!

Warning: This post is getting to long.

Ok, OK, I’m just about done here, but just to finish off here are some warning labels I’d love to see.

On caffeine and sugar products:
Warning to parents, providing too much of this substance to your children can be harmful to YOUR health!

Here might be the solution to obesity. “fat labels”. Food companies should be obligated to put warning labels on any yummy foods such as doughnuts, potato chips, nosh etc, declaring in big red letters. Warning: excessive consumption of this food without exercise or diet WILL lead to weight gain! Hey lets face it simply writing down how many grams of fat there are or whatever other percentages they put down is the same as giving instructions to a deaf guy, in Morse code… (what the Beep ;

I'll save the alcohol warning for another time.

Found this site and had some fun, just for you guys. Enjoy.



If you see a warning label but it isn’t in English does it still apply to you?

Good Morning/Night/Day/Chodesh to Y'all.

CS.

24 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Sara with NO H said...

Hey, I'm first!
I think the chainsaw one is actually my favorite. I got caught laughing in the office.
Ever since McDonalds was sued for someone burning themself on hot coffee, there are CAUTION HOT labels on every hot cup. I can imagine if he had taken a sip and it was cold and he sued for that, then maybe we'd have CAUTION MAY BE COLD on all these hot cups.

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like Jerry Seinfeld says:

What type of child is so dumb to think he can fly, and yet reads instructions?

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger C said...

love the title.... ;)

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

the best warning labels are definitely those that come from non-english speaking countries and translated to.. english..
worse than having a pointless label.. is having an important label that you cant understand!

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

k dovid. stop trying to be funny. you know that is not your specialty.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

SARA: Warning: CS Takes no responsibility for people giving you funny looks when you burst out laughing in a public place.

LOL May be hot, may be cold ;) Check out the story "Man Sues Coffee Shop for Ice Mocha Mishap" from two posts ago.

DOVID: :) Good line.

Hope your enjoying your vacation day.

CHAYA: Thanks, but I hope you read past it ;)

M00KIE: LOL Good point, I did read through a few of those, very funny.

READER: C'mon give dovid a break, besides, you messing with my chavrusah here, proceed with caution :o

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Dovid said...

Reader, it's Jerry's line...
Besides, I think I am funny... :/

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did the ji...         er i mean glue have a warning label ;)

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if not i wonder what type of label would you put on it :p

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

LMAO! Wires, what happens in the cave, stays in the cave ;)

 
At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious. Thanks.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Faye Spalter said...

1st: ever seen the warnign labels on te straw wrappers and cups in 7-11 "warning, may cause brain-freeze"?
2nd: the superman one...it is on a child's costume and personally i thought u could fly with that..

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger heimishinbrooklyn said...

Hilarious! I gotta get you those Chinese warning translations. Your post was way longer than usual. I might just sue ya...

 
At 4:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WARNING-do not read this blog at work.
Spontaneous laughter might tip off your superior that your are not working.

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"On caffeine and sugar products:
Warning to parents, providing too much of this substance to your children can be harmful to YOUR health!"

lol cs, I'm loving this one.

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"On a Swedish chainsaw:
Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands.
(Raise your hand if you've tried this...)"


That is not a fair request to make of those that have tried.

---

No free products from overturned vending machine...the things ppl think of..the strength of ppls laughter...

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, as a 'child' like the one with the dishwashing soap the best!

I'll try it next time I'm given the job! I'll see what happens!

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

ANON: Your very welcome, sorry I lost your name when I switched to beta.

SUPERS: LOL I'll have to check it out, I never noticed and I'm a huge slurpie fan, and no, I never get brain-freeze.

Sigh, I also though it would make me fly, but after jumping off a few counters and tablestops as a kid I found out it doesnt work, even with a running start ;)

HEIMISH: Feel free to send em over, my email is posted on my profile.

Sue me and I'll sue you for causing me "Bloganoia" = a fear of blogging, due to all the crazy "Blurkers" and "Blogies" out there.

ANON PRAG: ;) LOL Read with caution.

SUGARLESS: Thanks :)

SABRA: "That is not a fair request to make of those that have tried"

LOL!!!

Missing your blog already :(

CHILD: Please keep me informed of the results, remember, I take no responsibility for YOUR actions.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger the sabra said...

missing my blog? huh? you tried shooting at it?

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

Yes I have, more the once actually ;) thing is its off the radar and nowhere to be found :(

 
At 12:45 AM, Blogger C said...

Sabra-what happened...now ill hace to rely on ur emails for my daily inspiration :(

WHY WHY WHY???

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Faye Spalter said...

in which case the warning on the costume is, indeed, necessary.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well... haven't done anything since posting that comment - so far so good!

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually tried it the other night and we all had a good laugh - and it worked! I'm so proud of myself! And thank you CS for letting me in on this one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home