Tuesday, February 06, 2007


Argh! It’s freaking COLD outside! Yup folk’s it seems winter is (finally?) here. And you know what, screw all the global warming critics, ‘cuz even if the darn ice is melting and the world is going to flood in the year two thousand whatever, well that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make! For Gawd’s sake I’d much rather die surfing then die of Hypothermia!

The only cool thing about the cold is that we all get to dress like Eskimos and bank robbers and nobody cares what you look like. Still searching my house for last years Ski cap, meanwhile I’m walking around with those dorky earmuffs, or as someone just explained to me the “cool” term for them "180’s", listen buddy call ‘em what you want, they still remind me of 80 year old men with big “furry” ears.

Thank you lord for making me a man as I just the though of wearing a skirt in this weather (not like I ever actually thought about it!) makes my “legs” go cold, and I know I promise myself each year that I’m going to go shopping for thermal underwear AKA “Gatkess” but in the meantime my PJ’s are finally being put to use ;)


Here’s a little list of things I’ve noticed as sure signs that it is cold outside.

You know its cold outside when…


Even the snowmen are wearing winter coats

Their serving shots of Anti-Freeze at the bar (anyone know if you can drink that stuff? I think I might try it)

You are wearing more layers then a layer cake (Seven layer anyone?)

You clean the dishes just so that you can warm up your hands (even my mom has a baffled look on her face)

After coming indoors you put your hands over a fire, and they begin to melt away
(I’ll always remember as kids we would take a break after one snowball fight to come indoors and jam all our (usually soaking wet and freezing) gloves on and into the steam to warm up for the next fight)

Your running nose freezes before it begins to drip
(!)

Instead of using ice cubes you stir your drink with your fingers

Someone flicks your ear, and it snaps off (probably the most painful thing you can do to somebody after a walk in the cold, aside for maybe stumping on his toe)

The back porch replaces your freezer


You want to go visit your friends, but the walk TO YOUR CAR is too far (yes I have heard this excuse used before)

At your friends wedding the only ones outside for the chupah is the choson and kallah, plus some of the immediate family and any other unfortunate people who are required to be there
(while everyone else watches from inside) (true story that I heard, if I remember correctly this happened in Montreal)

You “pass gas” just to feel warm
(Just an idea)

(One for the guys) taking a leak outside is NOT an option ;)

Women stop shaving!?
(Scary (Yet true,) and no, don’t ask me how I came up with this one)

You have to wait to defrost before taking a shower
(pins and needles anyone?)

It’s too cold to snow and instead whole clouds of ice are falling from the sky
(something which I’ve always wondered about)

You know its cold when you see a lawyer with his hands in his OWN pockets! (For my dear lawyer pal Harry and to my other dear buddy who is working on his LSAT’s, good luck dude)

Best winter advice ever: No matter what they may tell you, DO NOT eat the yellow snow!

I know this one is kinda old, but for those who haven’t heard it yet, enjoy.

It was October and the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new Chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a Chief in a modern society he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared.

But being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, is the coming winter going to be cold?'

“It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold”, the meteorologist at the weather service responded. So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later he called the National Weather Service again. “Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?” “Yes,” the man at National Weather Service again replied, “It's going to be a very cold winter.” The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later the Chief called the National Weather Service again. “Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?” “Absolutely,” the man replied. “It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever.”

“How can you be so sure?” The Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy!”

P.S. In case anyone is alarmed or just wondering at the disappearance of my chavrusah’s blog www.gonzonic.com please be aware that Dovid is unfortunately suffering from a rare case of "BlogOhPause", the severity of this case has yet to be determined.

33 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! Not BlogOhPause! Please send him our best wishes for a speedy recovery. We miss him.

-Readers

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger D Rebitzin said...

You made me laugh with your post.

Yes, it's freezing cold. I passed the Zappan Zee bridge this morning I saw layers of ICE.

You're so right "You know its cold outside when…"

I hope your chavrusah is doing fine.

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, about staying warm in a skirt...its not hard at all ... pajama pants under a skirt tucked int o your boots...
you dont have to take of your pajamas the whole winter ! :)

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what does cold mean?
today supposed to be in the low 70's, compared to yesterdays 80's. is that called cold?
and what is snow? is that something like the 'mon'? just wondering.

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok first of all your post and my post should be combined :)

second.. all those "you know its cold when.." apply 100% here.. every last one!

and thirdly.. gonzo.. bring him back nowwwwwwwwwww!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger C said...

Funny!! You had me laughing (again)

About Dovid-I love his blog, but it has been getting a bit repetitive. He's been obsessing about the same topic for a while now. MAybe he'll take this time to think of something new to blog about.

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did gonzo temporarily stop blogging.. or just is temporarily blogging soley to his invited readers?

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howd the anti freeze go...

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Rivka Photography said...

Leggings are a great invention. Prevents you from getting goosebumps on your legs due to the cold draft that skirts cause.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Dovid said...

Hey guys. I'm taking a break. No one can read it, and I'm not posting. Life goes on... :)

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gonzo, this is an excellent idea. it's time for an internal life.

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post reminds me of what my grandfather says about his experiences in Siberia during WWII. He says that it was so cold there, they used to go into the meat freezer to WARM UP.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Rach said...

omh it freeeexing her so i know what u mean! ne1 ever hear of minus 30 cuz that the weather.
btw whos chupa in montreal was only attended outsied by the ppl required?
GONZO- refuah shleima plz get back soon & reopen ur blog
thanx CS 4 letting us know i was kind of wondering....

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger The G said...

Good to see that you're back with original material. But that just means that you're bored...wanna go to bp?...never mind, too cold!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger The G said...

oh and Dovid, hope you feel better soon.

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

ANON 9:38: Unfortunately there are no known cures for BlogOhPause, The only thing you can do it wait it out and hope it passes...

DREBITZIN: Thanks, Always good to know I got someone to laugh.

Ya know it the black ice you’ve got to be careful from.

Chavrusah is doing fine, not to worry.

ANON 10:16: Yeah I know about that trick, but what about when you have to dress up? For I've been wearing PJ's underneath woolen pants for the past two days.

AMOM: California weather? weren’t you guys suffering from major frost?

Snow is the white flacky stuff, not to be confused with dandruff.

COMMENT DELETED: Get a life yo, not interested in your junk, kindly take a hint and don’t post again (twice isn’t enough?)

M00KIE: LOL Next time lets compare before we post ;)

Thank you for confirming my accuracy, I tried.

Wanna star a "bring Gonzo Back" campaign?

CHAYA: Thanks :)

I know what you mean, but it seems he always blogs what’s on his mind and I guess that’s on his mind a lot these days.

ANON 2:51: Not to worry, he hasn’t invited anyone, just taking a break.

S: If I ever get cold enough, I’ve heard that a couple of shot of scotch have the same affect :)

RIVKA: May Goosebumps be the least of your worries.

DOVID: And on and on and on...

ANON 6:51: Believe it or not many bloggers actually do have some sort of internal life, hard to believe I know, but its true.

ITSALLGOOD: Feeling warmer just from reading that.

ROCHEL: Ahhhh! COLD!
Sorry never got the name.
Very welcome.

G: Ha! Mr. I’m going to be Anti-social for the next few days :p

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Dovid said...

Why is everyone wishing me a refuah shleima????

 
At 2:43 AM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

Dude don’t you know, BlogOhPause can be a painful and sometimes even life changing ;)

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone who misses Gonzo, sign this petition!!! http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/gonzocomeback/

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just read on aol's very profound and oh so informative home page (as ususal) that antifreeze is very sweet yet hightly poisonous, so clean up the drips to protect your fuzzy little pets (i guess children arent know for licking the sidewalk in freezing weather.)

and btw. whoever manages with the pj pants or leggings under your skirts i could use some directions. i cant even wear tights cuz all my skirt ride right up them. how do u manage to keep it down??

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and once again thanks for all the hysteria, there is no heat on my floor of our builiding, and the humor keeps my blood from freezing.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

MISSING: lol Good work. Just for you I'll share part of this recent conversation with gonzo.

me: Be over soon...
hmm looks like someone bade a pettiton for your blog
Goonzo: I saw
its soooooo sweet

FMAO: Interesting, was wondering why I started feeling all funny after a couple of anti-freeze shots ;)

Good luck with the heat.

Gotta run, but before I do I'm asking kindly that next time any females think about hijacking my blog with girly talk (even though I truly do find it somewhat amusing) please be a bit more considerate of all the guys who are squirming in their chairs.)

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cs. "(even though I truly do find it somewhat amusing)"
should i or not hmm what to do?
fiiiiiiinnnne i'll give u a break and keep quiet ;p

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

Hehe ;) got your e-mail, I know it must have been hard for you to hold back :p so thanks for the consideration

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

soooooo sweet and hes gonna come back sooooo soooooon?

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Dovid said...

Dude, I just noticed the heading of your blog about questions and answers. First of all, I want to know what on earth you mean. Secondly, regardless of what you mean, it's written wrong.

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeh,takeh..basically there is NOT an answer for every question.
If every question eventually results in a question,there is NO answer. wtvr.
cute post.

and Gonzo,slight withdrawl systems are kicking in..come back! (WITHOUT all this flattery getting to u.)

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

In short

Some people are seeking answers...
Other people are only looking to question.

If you want answers you can always find them, and if its questions you want, well you can always find that as well...

Maybe I'll explain (and fix up the grammar ;) another time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home