Friday, September 15, 2006



10 Things I love about shabbos

1. Friday day power nap. (From 7am until 4pm ;)

2. Pre shabbos bowl of chicken soup and my moms AMAZING broccoli kugel.

3. Friday night walk to shul (and back)

4. 770 Shul Friday night, prayers to G-d and schmoozing with my friends (only after davening, of course :p

5. The shabbos night meal, the one day of the week the whole family gets to eat dinner together, always entertaining, and oh the beautiful singing…

6. My sister’s delicious vegetable salads and my moms yummy cooking.

7. After meal walk, visiting friends.

8. Usually managing to sleep a “bagel” Friday night no matter how late I go to sleep… that would sometimes mean being woken up by my father making Kiddush and me rushing off to shul quicker then a bolt of lightning.

9. “Ufrufs” throwing the candy bags at chosanim (being more carefull since that time I hit the poor choson directly in his face, ouch) and the Kiddush after davening

10. Cholent! Let me tell you, my moms Cholent is to die for!

That’s basically it, from then on its usually sleep until the end of shabbos (got to charge the system for motzei shabbos) Unless of course my chavrusa is in town and wants to learn (smicha)… which is something I am entirely convinced is prohibited on a shabbos day!

Good shabbos to all!

The Observant Jew
Moe and Lenny are strolling home from shul one Saturday morning. Suddenly a cab speeds past, and their friend, Irving, is running frantically behind it, flailing his arms wildly.

"Well," said Lenny, "I never imagined our good friend Irving was a Sabbath violator! Look at him running for that taxi."

"Wait a minute," Moe replied. "Didn't you read that book I lent you, The Other Side of the Story, about the command to judge other people favorably? I'll bet we can think of hundreds of reasons for Irving's behavior."

"Yeah, like what?"

"Maybe he's sick and needs to go to the hospital."

"Come on! He was running 60 miles an hour after that cab - he's healthier than Arnold Schwartzenwer is."

"Well, maybe his wife's having a baby."

"She had one last week."

"Well, maybe he needs to visit her in the hospital."

"She's home."

"Well, maybe he's running to the hospital to get a doctor."

"He is a doctor."

"Well, maybe he need supplies from the hospital."

"The hospital is a three minute walk in the opposite direction."

"Well, maybe he forgot that it's Shabbos!"

"Of course he knows it's Shabbos. Didn't you see his tie. It was his paisley beige 100% silk Giovani tie from Italy. He never wears it during the week."

"Wow, you're a really observant Jew! I didn't even notice he was wearing a tie..."

"How could you not notice? Didn't you see how it was caught on the back fender of the taxi?"

Shabbat shalom.

23 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Sara with NO H said...

well well well
10 things I love about shabbos
1) the friday afternoon nap before shabbos
2) the large amounts of wine I find myself consuming on friday night
3) potato kugel
4) the long walk after the meal. the whole time i feel like i'm going to fall asleep on my feet.
5) sleeping again
6) running around to daven and say my tehillim before kiddush
7) the amount of wine I find myself consuming shabbos by day meal
8) potato kugel
9) going out with my friends after the meal and having ices
10) I wonder if I can say havdula. Since technically it's not shabbos anymore. But I always love the late havdula.

Did I just steal your post?

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I love shabbos great reasons, cute story ha.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger the sabra said...

hehe

err i think 3 out of ur 10 reasons do not mention food.

ya ya go ahead n quote about oneg or whatever being food...

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

'Observant' keyword in this story:)
Fresh baked Challahs(which I only get occasionally) are what make Shabbes exciting for me.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

what a kiddush Hashem post!!!!

And I LOOOOVED the joke!!!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

SARA: Nice list yourslef, and no you didn’t steal my post, you’ve made it better :)

I love potato kugel as well btw and I would have to fill in beer instead of wine... In truth there are loads more things that I like about shabbos but I only wrote the first 10 things that came to my mind otherwise I'd be stuck writing all day...

JEWISHFEMME: It’s got to suck to hate wine; I mean dry wine needs some getting used too, but sweet wine?

Sorry I had to delete you fist comment, I don’t mind personal info (usually,) but not THAT kind of personal please.

SOCIAL: Thanks, Many more reasons to like shabbos, the list is endless.

SABRA: Nah at least 5 aren’t about food, remember sleeping a "bagel" has nothing to with food.

I not really big into eating, (also it doesn’t take much to get me full) so I don’t know if I can truthfully consider food oneg. (Now beer on the other hand... ;)

PRAG: I see you caught on.

Fresh baked challas is definitely something that I would add to my list, now if only my mom would start baking them.

KASAMBA: Why thank you!

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger FrumGirl said...

Yeah I love shabbos! Cholent yum!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Faye Spalter said...

i was wondering where that last one would go.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Renegade said...

friday afternoon nap?!?!

you guys must be living in a diferent world then me.
who has time to sleep on friday? not to mention that what do you do all shabbos if you sleep all day friday?

I usualy dont sleep from wednesday on, knowing I'll make it up on shabbos.

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

its all about the nap!! a shabbos without the nap is.. just.. not.. complete!
great post.. i may steal it at some point :)

 
At 3:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you for deleting ,

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

FRUMG: Can you imagine a shabbos without cholent? Oy!

This summer I was home alone and so I ate by friends and relatives and one shabbos day i went over to a house and they didn’t serve cholent! It really felt like an incomplete shabbos :(

SUPERS: The last what? Cholent?

Welcome back to the blog world, it’s been a while, hope all is going well in school.

RENEGADE: LOL, Well me personally, I'm still living the single life... Sounds like my mom every time I schlep around on Friday she tells me "You just wait until you get married..."

Sleep Friday, and sleep some more shabbos! What’s so complicated about that?

ANONYM00KIE: I agree!

And your welcome to steal it, as long as you give credit

HUMANB: I'm with ya all the way. Resented it then, (somewhat) loving it now. (Unless it rains :(

ANON: Thank you for backing me ;)

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

#1 #3 #4
no excuses
shabbat shalom

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

I'm lost, What exactly are you trying to say sabra?

Shavua tov.

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

forget it. i forget im dealin with uh a fella whos been roamin one planet too many.

shavua tov gam lecha!

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

Sure, and I must always remember that I'm dealing with a sabra :p

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never really comment on blogs, simple I have a life…. But this time I couldn’t control my ego… read your blog many many times, quite amusing, but the one with The Observant Jew got me going for like 10 minutes, fits, rolling, tears. I am sure somewhere out there you made someone’s day. Good luck Shana Tova.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Faye Spalter said...

no the tie story...

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Renegade said...

Anonymous said...
"I never really comment on blogs, simple I have a life...read your blog many many times"

make up your mind dude, do you have a life or not

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

ANON: Thank you, I'm flattered!

Commenting on blogs has nothing to do with having a life or not, its always nice to show some appreciation to bloggers by commenting something nice for working hard to entertain you...

Having a blog on the other hand might be up for debate but I'd be careful with what I say if I were you.

Anyhow its seems like I made your day with this post so it’s already worth it, shana tova 2u2.

SUPERS: Gotcha.

RENEGADE: ;) Hey hold on a sec, are you saying that people who read my blog have no life??? How can you say that about yourself :p

Funny I was actually going to reply with something like that, but how can I insult someone who is giving me a compliment.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Renegade said...

CS: I knew you would ask that.
I wasn't saying that at all, I was merely saying that according to his definition of having a life, he has no life.

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a good lubavitcher there should be 3 candles in the picture :)

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RENEGADE: Ohhhhh! Maybe it’s the reading that is my life? Commenting, now that’s a different story, worthy of its own blog.
Just really never get around to commenting!

CS: I have my own little opinion regarding blogs and have already written a whole article about it. Even set up blog a couple of month ago, never really got around to posting, then again maybe I should give something back to the blogging society. I’ll keep you posted (no pun intended).
Keep It up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home