Sunday, October 22, 2006

"Doctor, he's feeling kinda funny"

“Mommy I’m feeling sick, can I stay home from school today?”

Ahhhh, remember the good ole’ childhood days, when you wanted to stay home from school ‘cuz you werent feeling well… or at least pretended so ;) Those days were my favorites. Staying home from school was always fun, as it normally meant sitting in front of the video screen and watching videos all day, eating as much nosh as I wanted to, and yes, hanging out with my mom.

My mom is the greatest. Getting permission from my mom to stay home from school was never a problem, she understood us kids so well, I’ll always remember the stories my mom told me of how she used to play hooky with her sisters and end up in a shopping mall instead of in class, so if we ever weren’t feeling well or “weren’t feeling well about going to school” all we had to do was put a groggy look on our sweet angelic faces and walk over to our mom clutching either our stomachs or out heads, depending on what was meant to be hurting and whimper “Mommy, my stomach/head is hurting me, please can I stay home from school today, pullleeeezzee!”

Now I’d like to think that my mom actually knew whether we were faking or not, but she almost always let us stay home, especially if she happened to be going out shopping that day and needed a babysitter, oh boy those days were great, all we had to do was put the baby to sleep and then it was down to the kitchen to nosh and watch videos all day while checking up on that baby every once in a while and praying the kid would stay asleep until mommy got home. Then of course there were those days when we actually honestly weren’t feeling well, such as if we had strep or a virus. Although it’s never much fun to be sick my dear loving mom always made it worth it, a sore throat meant lots of hot cocoa in which we would dump tons of chocolate chips for extra flavor, Yummy. And if it were a stomachache then my mom would prepare for us special meals such as toast and butter or any other food which might have been good for us (chicken soup anyone?), and then we could lay in bed all day and read books forever, or sit in front of the video screen and all and end up with a “real” headache from movie overdose! Oy I tell you, those were the days.

I must point out however that there was one major obstacle to those amazing “sick” days, and that obstacle would be… My dad! Yup my daddy, you see, unlike my mom who has no special feelings toward school, my father teaches in one, yup my dad the teacher, and of course as you can imagine not just in any school but in my school, (trust me I’ve got plenty to write about that, but I’ll save it for another time) anyhow, so lets just say getting away with skipping school was not that easy with my dad, unlike my mom where all it took was a little puppy eyed begging, with my dad it was a whole different scene. My father would walk into our rooms every morning to wake us up to get ready to drive to school with him, and if we ever wanted to stay home we would have to put up a major show, the little headache act never fooled my dad, no way, to stay home required major pain, and we had to make it look like we meant it. We had to squirm and howl in pain to get off the hook, and pray that we would pass the lie detector test, and trust me, if we were to pass the test then that was the ultimate relief, once our dad left the room and we were home free, we would roll over with a beaming smile to the envy of the other siblings, and start planning out how to make the best out of “the sick day”

Thank G-d I’m 23 now and done with school, yet it always brings a smile to my face when I’m up in the morning and hear how my younger siblings are trying their best to talk their way out of going to school for the day. And I just had to smile to myself the other day when I didn’t manage to go to sleep until after 7 in the morning and as I’m heading down to my room to go to sleep my dad walks downstairs and asked me “CS, what are doing up now?” And I in reply put a pained look on my face and in the groggiest voice possible replied “Ta, its hard for me to sleep, I’m not feeling that well”

Ahhh, the good old days.

15 Comments:

At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah the memories i would use it in school itself with the sheriff oh did it work

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

ANON lol I'm saving that (School sickness, AKA Schoolytes) for another post, but lets just say that acording to my teachers I was sick almost once every week.

You talking about "The sheriff" as in Sheriff C. ? Now that was a long time ago.

 
At 3:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to c.s.
the go to my office sheriff C.

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

lol... those were the days.

these days if i don't want to go to work, it's not quite the same as getting a note from mum that I wasnt' feeling well.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

i think kids shoudl be entitled to a certain amount of personal and sick days to take at their own discretion!
and thats why im gonna be a mommy.. and not a dad :)

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Pimplesoflife said...

i jsut left those days... but im back in them in seminary...those were the days... i had a blast!!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger smb said...

I agree with mookie

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

ANON: LOL Good times brother.

SARAH: Hehe, good point, I dare you to try it once however, the next time you miss a day of work bring your boss a note signed by you mom just to see your bosses reaction :)

ANONYM00KIE: Way to go, I'm sure your kids are going to love you.

PIMPLES: Come on I'm sure your still faking sickness in sem, how else would you get to take the day off to go touring?

LVNSM27: Me 3.

JEMINA3: Where is the fairness in that??? You better hope your kids never find out those days ;)

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Sounds like you had a great mom. I was one of those kids that never liked to miss a day so I don't even know how my mom would have handled a groggy puppy dog face.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Nemo said...

Dude... Sick days in my house sucked.

It was better than school, but still...

We had about ten videos which got watched over and over so many times that you were ready to shoot yourself. I probably have all the Disney lines memoirized and rehearsed.

And daytime TV ain't much better. Once the cartoons end around nine in the morning, they don't come on till three in the afternoon.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

What a sweet mom, but you may bet she knew.
My mom never fell for it and didn't find it very sweet either.
Your story reminds me of two stories i 'Behind The mask' by C Walder

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

What a sweet mom, but you may bet she knew.
My mom never fell for it and didn't find it very sweet either.
Your story reminds me of two stories i 'Behind The mask' by C Walder

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup yup, although in my house it was just the opposite for one my mom was my principal and my father is real softie.

If only it was that easy to play hookie from work....

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well now reading about your hooky businesses - i did it this morning and it kinda worked - but only because it was planned from last night that i was kvetching the whole time!

it usually doesnt go too well over here!

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

SOCIAL: I do! What kinda kid doesn't like to miss school? I just cant understand it ;)

NEMO: LOL sorry to hear that...

Kinda like my home in a way, only I remember the lines as well as the songs ;)

PRAG: I'm pretty sure she did :) Sheesh, how did you survive? Don't remember those stories, I'll try to find the book.

DG: Yipes, guess you beat me, I thought I had it hard being that my dad was/is simply a teacher...

I hear ya, if only. Me thinking they should allow each worker 5 sick days and 5 official hookie days :)

ANON: Hehe, way to go ;)

G'luck in the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home