Wednesday, October 04, 2006

PHEW! Yom Kippur is over… Ok so truth is it wasn’t even that bad, or at least not as bad as I thought it would be, ya know its kinda funny how each year I find myself dreading yom kippur and thinking of how hard it’s going to be, and then once its over I’m like hey that wasn’t even that bad, gosh what was I whining about? But still thank G-d its over and I don’t have to think about till next year, and of course hopefully by then it will be Yom KiPURIM in Jerusalem! (Think about it Purim instead of Kippur, now that’s a HIGH holiday)

Short recap: YK was great, I drove down to my uncles place again to continue on with my chazzanos (no one went deaf on RH so they figured they’d allow me back for YK) I brought along two of my friends this time, (G and one Mr. anonymous) we left ON TIME this time around, which for me means leaving only around an hour late,(if you dont know what I'm talking about check out my RH Recap) but thank G-d we made it there on time for the “seudas hamafsekes” and enough time to “dip in the mik” My dear mom was actually worried that we would never make it there on time so she sent along with me a whole meal of chicken, meat and potatoes just “in case” we get stuck on the highway for yom tov (yup that’s my mom)

YK started and with my uncle doing Kol Nidrei, he did it with a lot of emotion but let me put it this way, as I always say about my family/relatives, we are all into music, some of us are singers while others are composers, meaning some of us have nice voices and know how to sing well B’h while others in the family, every time they try to sing a song they end up making up a new one… Go figure ;) I took over my uncle after Kol Nidrei for maariv only to realize that I had left my chazzanos papers on which I had written down all the tunes I was going to use in the car!!! Luckily I was able to recall most of the tunes while my uncle TRIED helping me out with some of his own, listen at least it was entertaining.

(After dinner… oops J/k what was I thinking,) after prayers the guys and I headed to the hotel lounge/library and stayed up for a few hours reading psalms (Hehe, I almost believed myself there) and then it was sleepy time until 10am for HIGH-bernating time in the synagogue. I was cantor for musaf and mincha while my uncle did shachris and N’ila, which was a good thing cuz by the time N’ila came around every time I stood up I was seeing potato chips and beer bottles floating around my head :0

All in all, the fast was over before I knew it, and after eating a bit, and of course crashing the hotel bar for a beer with G we were on our way home, with of course a short detour on the way to stop over at not one but two Wal-marts (G-d bless Wal-mart) anyhow back home now and looking forward to my favorite holiday, Sukkos!

I think the blessing for nowadays would be Gmar Chasima Tova, Shana Tova Build A Sukkah!

Getting ready for Sukkos :)

High holiday leftovers

Pinny this is just for you ;)

A guy walks into a Kosher pharmacy before YK and ask if they sell “Caffeine suppositories” for Yom Kippur, the clerk behind the counter confirms that yes he does sell them and asks him how many of them he wants one or two maybe?
“Give me 300 of them” says the guy.
“Three hundred!” Exclaims the clerk, “Sir most people don’t take more then two of them, what in world would you do with 300 of them?”
“Well you see explaines the guy “I’m sponsoring the shul’s Yom Kippr Kiddush”

Maftir “Jonah”

A little girl was noticed by a atheist, as she held her storybook, entitled "Jonah and the Whale." The atheist thought he would see if the little girl believed the story about Jonah. So, after saying Hi to the girl, he asked her to tell him about the book she was holding. The girl said the book was about Jonah, and how he was swallowed by a whale. The atheist asked: "Do you believe that really happened?"
The little girl replied, "yes, I believe the story of Jonah is true." You mean you really believe that a man can be swallowed up by a big whale, stay inside him all that time, and come out of there still alive and okay? She said, "Absolutely -- this story is in the Bible and we studied about it in Hebrew school today!"
Then the atheist asked, "How can you prove that the story about Jonah is true?" She thought for a moment, and then said, "When I get to Heaven I'll ask Jonah."
The atheist then asked, "What if Jonah's NOT in Heaven?" She put her hands on her little waist, and sternly said: "Then YOU can ask him!"


RH Leftover

A Briton, a Frenchman and a Russian are viewing a painting
of Adam and Eve frolicking in the Garden of Eden.
"Look at their reserve, their calm," muses the Brit. "They must
be British."
"Nonsense," the Frenchman disagrees. "They're naked, and
so beautiful. Clearly, they are French."
"No clothes, no shelter," the Russian points out, "they have
only an apple to eat, and they're being told this is paradise.
They are Russian."

11 Comments:

At 3:02 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

glad it all went ok!
i also was thinking how hard it was going to be but it really wasnn't so bad, just so long that i started to dream about salami when i dozed off in shul (it was stuffy and i was tired. potato chips and beer were clearly not my first preference for foods to break the fast on!)
happy sukkah building!!!

 
At 3:27 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Better to be nervous for nothing than be confident and be proven wrong.
My YK went well as well, although I was almost trembling an hour before the start.
Great jokes as always, hope U don’t mind if I forward them to a couple of friends.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

i actually laughed at those jokes :) funny
i may even repeat them, altho ill probably confuse them and end up with some joke about a russian atheist, a whale, and 300 suppositories..

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Sounds cool.
Glad it all worked out...

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom said...

I really laughed too, I love that pic great classic.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

SARAH: Nothing wrong with Salami and Beer ;) Sorry to hear that it was stuffy, I guess you weren’t in one of those freezer shul's.

PRAG: "A pessimist is never disappointed" :) You were almost trembling an hour BEFORE? Funny most people are usually trembling an hour before the end...

Your welcome to share, credit is always appreciated.

ANONYM00KIE: LOL! :) Glad you liked em.

FOOTCH: Was cool, me glad as well.

SOCIAL: Great to have everyone laughing, that pic is by far one of my favorites as well.

JEWISH: Thanks. I Try, My grandfather A"H was a chazzan, my dad is a chazzan and my brother-in- law is a chazzan as well.

It does take some energy, and if your mouth goes dry then you’re in trouble, but the fast does pass quicker when your chazzan, I think.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger kasamba said...

LOL!!!! I love the kiddush one!!!
If my shteeble had a newsletter they'd have to put it in!!!!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger smb said...

love the pic

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Sara with NO H said...

Hey I want to see pics of the Sukkah

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

so in other words, they reHIGHered you?

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

KASAMBA: Funny thank you.

LVNSM27: Gracias

SARA: Maybe once its up.

SABRA: LOL good one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home